The responsibilities of the executor are many and varied.
While it is impossible to provide a complete listing of all duties, the following will help executors understand what they are expected to do.
- Locate and review the Will
- Work effectively with co-executors
- Correctly interpret the terms of the Will
- Exercise discretionary power as outlined in the Will (i.e. understand what as executor can/can’t be done)
- Maintain impartiality
- Locate and gather necessary details from beneficiaries
- Settle any disputes that may arise